Hanley St Luke’s C of E Aided Primary School started life as Wellington Road schools in the 19th century. Wellington Infants School moved into the lower building when it was built in 1893. The upper building was Wellington Secondary School. When the infants moved to junior education, they had to go to Eastwood Road Junior School (Joiners Square) then return to Wellington Road for their secondary education.
In 1964 St John’s Junior and Infant School in Lichfield Street closed and the children transferred to Wellington Road. The new school was named Hanley Church of England School, and the Junior children were housed in mobile classrooms until, under re-oganisation in 1971 Wellington Secondary School was closed and the Junior classes moved into their building, the school now being a first and middle school.
In 1966 the school was granted aided status, and in 1982 the school became Hanley St Luke’s C of E Aided Primary School, in recognition of its close links with St Luke’s Church. In 2001 the old building was vacated as a new extension had been built onto the Junior building to bring all the pupils under one roof.